Are You Into Music Business & Marketing?
If you’re looking at this section then you are definitely passionate about music. Maybe you’re a musician or DJ who wants to start a record label. Maybe you’re a local promoter or manager who wants to develop their artists. Or maybe you’re an entrepreneur that wants to get a piece of this $1.6 trillion dollar global entertainment media market. Whatever the reason, it probably stems from your love and passion for music.
Chicago’s music scene is unique. It has never really been considered a major label market. Even though we’ve always had our share of successful labels, and plenty of successful artists, Chicago has never been driven by the label industry. Instead, the Chicago music scene has always been about the music, the culture, and the diversity that defines us.
Now that music has opened up to independent artists, labels, distributors, and other resources aimed at supporting entrepreneurs, Chicago has become a hot spot for local artists looking to get their music heard.
The DJ culture has sprung to life, the alternative rock scene has developed a vibrant voice, and the Hip Hop scene has expanded throughout the city and deep into the suburbs. It’s easy to see why Chicago is now considered the leading market for independent music. Combine this with the massive growth of the local independent film and theater communities as well as our multicultural connection and it all starts to make sense – Chicago is once again the place to be.
So if you’re interested in being a part of this exciting industry, then you will need to develop certain skills.
TOP (5) REASONS TO LEARN MUSIC BUSINESS
- Making Money – This may be oversimplified but it’s true. If you don’t know how to make money, you won’t make money. One of the key benefits of learning about business and marketing is to learn how to generate income.
- Competitive Edge – Perhaps the single most important advantage to getting proper training in music business and marketing is simply the competitive advantage over all the other people out there who want what you have, but don’t know how to get it.
- Getting Connected – It’s just as important to know how to do business, as it is to know who to do business with. People always want to do business with those who know what they’re doing. Learning business skills will open doors that you never even dreamed of.
- Strategic Planning – Everyone talks about it, but who gets it done? If you are a ‘doer’ and not a ‘talker’, then learning how the business works will give you the ability to plan your strategy for success.
- Piece of Mind – A lot of people take big risks on things they don’t really know the answers to. If you are tired of guessing and want to get definitive answers to your questions, the easiest way is simply to empower yourself with the knowledge and skills to get the job done.